Cultivation

India is the major producer, consumer and exporter of turmeric in the world.  India accounts for turmeric cultivation about 80 per cent of world turmeric production and 60 per cent of world exports. Other major producers are Pakistan, China, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru, Taiwan and Thailand. Asian countries consume much of their turmeric production.

Turmeric cultivation needs humid weather. Soils for Turmeric farming should be rich and friable. It grows on light black, ashy loam and red soils to stiff loams in irrigated and rain fed areas.

Cultivation Period

Turmeric cultivation period differs with the area of farming and diversity. Planting is done during May-June or July- August in different tracts. Mostly for good crop and maximum output the farmers are using natural fertilizers, animal dung’s, and avoid using chemicals or other harmful pesticides.

Climate & Harvesting

Fresh turmeric influx in Corrode starts from mid January and lasts till June. Stored product is available throughout the year. During January to April, turmeric from Mysore region comes to Erode market regularly. In Tamil Nadu there is widely necessity for Mysore region turmeric amongst the dealers, so the arrivals from that region are increasing over years.

Region Scenario

Most Significant turmeric yielding states in India are Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Orissa, Kerala and West Bengal, in which Andhra Pradesh occupies 40 per cent of total turmeric area followed by Orissa and Tamil Nadu occupying 17 per cent and 13 per cent of total turmeric area respectively. In terms of production Andhra Pradesh accounts 60 per cent of total turmeric production in India followed by Tamil Nadu (13 per cent) and Orissa (12 per cent).

Distribution

Turmeric is a perennial, herbaceous plant that attains a growth rate of 60-90 cm in height. It has a short stem and tufted leaves and is a native of the Indian and Chinese tropical lands. With time, turmeric has become a common crop throughout all the tropical nations.

Turmeric crops occupy about 6% of the total area under spices and condiments grown in India.

India currently meets an annual production demand of about 8 lakh MT of cured turmeric. It is the largest producer of turmeric in the world and contributes to almost 80% of the total production. About 92% of the produce is consumed domestically. And remaining 8% is exported.